Tuesday, April 26, 2011

High Maintenance is a Always No-Go

I have to note that being fabulous does not mean being high maintenance: they are two completely separate things.  For one, being fabulous, is well....a fabulous quality to have.  Being high maintenance?  Quite the opposite- it's un-fabulous, unappealing, and quite annoying to both others and yourself.  You don't need 3 hours to get ready to be fabulous.  You don't need the most expensive things.  And sometimes there are just some factors you can't control.

Yesterday was quite the unusually nice, beautiful, perfect temperature day.  So I decide let me make lemons out of lemonade, oh woops its lemonade out of lemons.  Okay anyway so I decide to make the best out of a bad situation, which is the fact that I have class, studying, other important obligations that must be adhered to instead of laying out in the sun with a margarita and a magazine.  So I decide, okay well I'll go lay on the grass and study outside to get some fresh air.... what a fabulous idea!  This plot of grass is about 5 minutes away from my apartment, and let me tell you that was the longest and most unpleasant and un-fabulous 5 minutes of my life (okay clearly not my life, more like my day...maybe week...).  Before venturing out, I decide to I carry my books, computer, and to include my recent light read "The Gospel According to Coco Chanel" to add in a little extra glamour, in a nice, little summer bag to match my outfit.  Oh great idea, except my books weighed about 15 pounds, my bag and arm were about to break, and I didn't realize until halfway through the walk that there was no point in bringing my laptop or the light read.

Not only was my arm about to break, but I mean aside from it being a nice day, it was HOT!  Of course I decide to wear pants so it'll be more comfortable for me to sit on the grass without having to worrying about a possible wardrobe malfunction.  So during that 5 minutes I was sweating like a drenched animal, and could not get under a tree fast enough.  Finally I find a massive tree, with tons of shade and space to plot my stuff down on.  I lay out my blanket and realize wow I'm sitting on top of a pile of dirt, not grass.  But whatever I am under shade, sitting on a blanket, it is okay.  Then I proceed to take my textbooks out, I begin to lay on my stomach and start reading.  Within 30 seconds, my blanket, my books, my bag, my skin, and my hair are covered in pollen.  It is now 24 hours later and I think I still have pollen stuck in my hair.  And that pollen is definitely not coming out of my textbook.  But its either sweat in the sun or sit under a blanket of pollen.  I chose the pollen.  So I thought okay, I'm not sneezing yet, no wild animal has come to attack me, no one has hit me with their frisbee yet, I can deal with the outdoors.  Then as I'm laying on my stomach, I realize just because I'm wearing pants doesn't mean I completely avoided the wardrobe malfunction, because my top was completely opened.  So embarrassing.  I definitely did not wear the right outfit for laying in the grass,  note to self, do not wear a chiffon lace top or do you're hair when entering the wild, and by entering the wild I mean spending 30 minutes outside, on the ground.

Despite the pollen, the heat, the dirt, etc... I'm thinking its so beautiful, don't be a brat, and just relax.  Then a spider comes crawling on my notebook, which I hurriedly flutter away. Then a fly lands on my textbook, which I'm pretty sure (and pretty grossly) I killed with my bare hands.  Traumatizing much?  But when you're outdoors, all normal thoughts of cleanliness and manners cease to exist, and you just want these bugs to get off of you.

So after my 2 rare hours that I spent outdoors (that didn't involve getting a tan) I have to say I kind of enjoyed myself.  No I wasn't wearing the perfect outfit, yes I was sitting in dirt, yes I had pollen all over me and may have triggered an allergy attack, yes I had to touch and interact with a few bugs, and no there wasn't a maid to bring me freshly squeezed lemonade and fan me.  But I changed up my routine and did something new, and despite the un-so-fabulous conditions I was relaxed and would probably study outside again (EXCEPT I am finding a different tree.  Maybe one that sheds flowers instead of pollen, that'd be pretty).  And 24 hours later, I am now clean and showered.  Some conditions you just can't control, but how you handle them determines your overall happiness.  I mean I was alone for most of this time period, but imagine if I was with someone else and I complained the entire time about the heat and the dirt?  I would be such a downer!  And just because I wasn't with anyone else, doesn't mean my thinking should automatically become more negative because that would just be a downer to myself.  I can't help the fact that it was hot, I was sweating, and unfortunately that dirt and bugs do exist and are a necessary part of our planet, but I can help the fact that just because I don't have a servant to set up a lounge chair and umbrella for me with fiji water poured in a wine glass, doesn't mean I still can't enjoy myself under the circumstances.

Tip of the day:  Never be or come off as high maintenance.  When your appearance and standards start controlling you, you just become a negative and never-fully happy person.  

No comments:

Post a Comment