Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Beauty kills the Beast


So I’ve been working on my current project, which is to watch all 100 of AFI’s Top 100 movies of all time (I’m up to 75 what what!) Yep, while everyone else is watching the Notebook or The Hangover, I’m watching A Clockwork Orange or Taxi Driver (both of which were rather disturbing but incredible).  I don’t really talk about my old movie fetish for the sole reason that when people ask me what movie I’m watching no one ever has any idea what the hell I’m referring to, unless they’re over the age of 40.
            Have I enjoyed all the movies on this list, no.  But I’ve enjoyed the majority of them and appreciate them for what they were and when they were made.  My most recent choice to watch was King Kong circa 1933.  Halfway through I thought to myself, these are the worst special effects I have ever seen and that is the fakest gorilla created.  The storyline was pretty good, but I mean it was 1933, there’s only so much they could do to make it believable.  It was the final line spoken when the film finally had an impact on me:  “It was beauty that killed the beast.”
            It made me think why do we all put such an emphasis on our physical appearances.  I mean I don’t choose my friends for their appearances, and I would hope they aren’t friends with me because of mine. There’s clearly much more to life than a person’s physical appearance, so why am I so obsessed with mine. I don’t put other people down for superficial things, if anything I lift them up, so why do I put myself down?  So maybe being fabulous has nothing to do with how you look on the outside.
            A year ago I was having my daily panic attack during finals week at the library.  I went to order another extra larger coffee, feeling like my world was over because of the test I had the next day.  And the women at the counter, never met me before, never saw me before, knew nothing about me, but she said “I’m not giving you anything until you put a smile on your face.”  And you know what? I did smile.  I don’t remember what the test was or how I did on it, but I do remember her and what she said, and I always will.  One person’s inner beauty can kill the beast in another person.
            Does anyone else kind of feel bad for the villain in movies?  I have to say I kind of felt bad for the big gorilla in King Kong.  I mean all he wanted to do was protect the beauty.  Everyone has their own defense mechanisms to get through the day, his just happened to be eating people on the island.  Mine is to give dirty looks to passersby when I’m in a bad mood.
So my tip is, no matter what give that person a smile, lend them a dollar, hold the door, or just say thank you…unless they look like they may attack you (or in King Kong’s case eat you) then run far, far away.  

No comments:

Post a Comment