Tuesday, April 29, 2014

To Do: Make A To Do List




I live each moment by a to-do list.  From the coffee I drink, to the movies I watch.  No exaggeration I include take a shower, eat breakfast, and watch tv on the same to do list as "complete this seriously hard assignment" and pay bills.  And I make a new one EVERY. SINGLE. DAY.  Oh and then I have specific lists for books I need to read, stuff I want, movies I still need to see…which I check my progress on regularly.  Is this behavior neurotic?  Well I'm not exactly positive on what the exact definition of neurotic is, so I'd going to go with no, it's not.  So when I saw: “My future listograpy: All I hope to do in lists” I immediately had to purchase it.  I mean what other way is there to live than by checking things off on a piece of paper?  How do people function without one?  And those that do, are they productive members of society?  My biggest fear is dying and still having a to do list to accomplish.  Okay maybe that's an exaggeration (maybe).

Some of the lists were easy to fill out- places I’d like to see, adventures I’d like to go on.  But some were seriously hard-

  • list artists I’d like to explore?  
  • List moments I’d like to never forget?  
  • Things I’d like to be fearless at?  I don’t know, I never really thought about it before.  Or really cared.  God, what kind of to-do list maker am I if I haven’t done any of this stuff?  
  • Future Halloween costumes?  Ok at what age is dressing up for Halloween just sad? 
  • List of festivals I’d like to go to?  Is there another festival besides a Renaissance festival
  • Future date ideas? A movie?  I am so boring.
I never met a to do list I couldn’t make…until now.  I guess that’s why this book got published. 

I thought that at the age of 24, I’d been to a lot of places, tried a lot of things, and read a lot of books.  But I haven’t.  When you really sit down and think about it- it’s crazy the amount of experiences you’ve never experienced.  


I never knew that I knew so little.  You can study and dream your life away, but without experiences, then what does all that knowledge amount to?  When does it get to the point where you're putting the same thing on your to do list each day and you stop doing something new?  Maybe during the process of these experiences you’ll get burned or you’ll fail more than once, but at least you can say you were fearless.  And who knows what you might succeed at?

Goal: Put something new on your to-do list



No comments:

Post a Comment