Wednesday, November 6, 2013

The Most Wonderful Time of the Year- Daylight Savings Time


This past weekend was the day of one of my favorite holidays of the year- Daylight Savings Time.  Don’t we all feel like there could be more hours in the day?  Could use just one extra hour of sleep, or one extra hour to do whatever it is we have to be doing.  Well thank lord for this holiday, its like Christmas, but instead of presents you get more time.  More hours to sleep? Is it my birthday?

I always thought it kind of sucked that it happens on a Sunday.  I mean can’t it be during the week when people actually have pressing things to do or places to be?  However I’m still not complaining because it’s a great day no matter what day it falls on.

Well this past Sunday I actually did have somewhere pressing to be.  Saturday night someone reminded me to make sure I change my clocks.  Um okay what is it 1980?  Hello, my phone does that automatically.  Along with my TV, and alarm clock.  Ok yes, there’s my watch, but I don’t actually really use that to tell the time.  I mean gosh do people just talk to talk these days?  Say something meaningful.

Well Sunday I woke up via my phone alarm clock, running late as usual.  Sleep or shower?  Sleep usually wins.  So of course I’m racing to get ready and get out of the house, hair completely styled, makeup completely done, and body completely caffeinated.  So I race to get in my car, definitely going to late, and I look at the clock.  It’s an hour behind my phone.  Wait what?  How does one even change the clock in their car?  And it’s not spring?  It would be an hour ahead of my phone?  What time is it and am I late or early to whenever I have to be?  Is my name my real name?  Is it actually raining when the sun is shining?  It was too early and I was so confused. 

It was one of those rare occasions where you actually need to emergency call someone to get an answer.  Well the only people I actually speak to on the phone anymore are my parents and my grandma.  Who calls anyone anymore?  Sometimes I feel like it’s kind of creepy.  Like couldn’t you just text me whatever you just had to say?

Well I didn’t have 15 minutes to wait for a response.  My usual phone call exclusives were not answering.  So I’m running through the list of people that I communicate with, trying to think of who the hell I can call on a Sunday morning that will actually answer?  If someone called me on a Sunday morning I’d just assume it was an accidental dial…the downside of touch screens.   

Well I gave it a go and called my friend.  She answered, and politely informed me that I was an hour early.  Somewhat relieve that was wasn’t late but also somewhat annoyed that I could’ve kept sleeping, I went home.

Moral of this story:  Find and appreciate more people that you can physically give a phone call to rather than an impersonal text message.  Technology is not always your friend.  Its not even a human being.  Send a card, write a note, dial a number.  

No comments:

Post a Comment