Friday, June 21, 2013

Summer Solstice


Today was the first day of summer, aka the best season of all seasons, mainly because the days are longer, there’s more vitamin d to go around, and it usually involves a beach or a vacation at some point, which most importantly (let’s be real), leads to a tan.  It’s noteworthy to state that my date of birth is the day before summer, therefore the second longest day of the year, therefore a sign that the universe just can’t get enough of me. (…just kidding).  But really if you’re born on December 22nd, which is Winter idk, winter solstice or winter wonderland or something, you get seriously snubbed out of daylight.  Unless you live in Alaska, which either stays dark or light 24 hours for some ridiculous period of time.  I’d look into the exact details on that, but really, who actually gives a shit?  When is anyone under the
age of 75 going to Alaska?

If my memory serves me correctly I actually remember HATING last summer, because it was So. Damn. Hot.  I was counting down the days until winter.  And then winter came, and I was like, wait this seriously sucks.  I wake up at 1pm, and it’s dark an hour later.  It’s like I’m not living at all.  But I can’t be a downer, and hate every season, because that would mean I hate life.  If you hate winter, you hate 25% of your life.  If you hate winter plus summer, that’s 50% of your life.  That can not be healthy?

So the options are to either to move to a more regulated climate, or suck it up.  Therefore I am sucking up the unbearable heat and humidity that is sure to come this summer, and I am enjoying everyday of summer…potentially.  Including rainy days, because that means I have more of an excuse to support my television addiction.

So where am I going with this blog post, now that I’ve officially displayed I have some form of ADD?  Well, in honor of such a noteworthy and wonderful event of the year, I decided I needed to celebrate.  Doing a rain dance in woods was completely out of the question.  Camping was even more completely out of the question.  So I decided to go to the zoo, which is a magical place because adorable and exotic animals are close enough for you to look at, and far enough away where they don’t attack you or require touching them.

Walking around looking at peacocks and lions, I realized life is so great at the moment.  I am so lucky I don’t have a mom that wears a visor.  Or have a family that wants to camp. And I don’t have to live in a cage, away from my natural habitat and have to be stared at all day by a bunch of sweaty strangers of a different species.

So Summer Solstice was a success, because my mind was reborn.  Realizing summer isn’t that bad in air conditioning.  When times get tough, and by tough I mean a temperature of 85 degrees or higher, I can now just think to myself…at least I’m not a zoo animal, and thank god visors and fanny packs are out of style for my demographic.

No comments:

Post a Comment