Tuesday, June 4, 2013

Keeping it Under Control During a Heat Wave



So it’s been a little hot lately.  I don’t do well with heat.  And by heat, I really mean anything over 70 degrees.  I was just not made for hot weather.  I don’t quite get it.  I mean how do people in India survive?  Actually how do people in Florida survive?  I’m perfectly tanned, in shorts and a t-shirt, and I look like I’m about to melt.  And I look over and see someone in jeans and a sweater looking like they could use a jacket.  I just don’t get it.  People must think I’m on drugs, and that going through withdrawal or something.  No I just get really hot.
So a few days ago, it hit, I don’t know 90 going on 110 degrees.  I laid on the floor, with a fan against my chest, blowing what felt like hot air onto my entire body. I was too hot to move, too hot to think, too hot to speak, too hot to function.
Normally when in a less than spectacular situation, self-medication is on its way.  Buts it’s too hot for any of that.  My pillows feel hot.  The air feels hot.  My bottle of water feels hot.  I really just don’t understand how they survived before air conditioning.
            So naturally I took the next step, and I started googling symptoms of a heat stroke.  I took my temperature and it was almost 99 degrees, and that’s almost 100 degrees, which is almost a fever.  Unfortunately, as much as I wanted to believe that I needed to be hooked up to some type of IV, even Wed MD implied I was overreacting.  When Web MD tells you it’s not a big deal, that’s a serious sign to calm down.
It can be argued that more crime occurs in the summertime.  I can completely see that.  The heat transforms me into a monster and I’m relatively easy-going, I can only imagine what it does for someone who is a normal member of society.
So to prevent any additional malicious behavior, I simply embraced the heat.  I just let it go.  Let me be hot.  Let me just sweat it out and accept it.  And like clockwork- the heat wave ended.  Go figure.  However, I now have a full stash of frozen items that I’ll be ready lay onto my entire body when next heat wave hits.  Moral of the story: Always be prepared.    

No comments:

Post a Comment