Friday, May 6, 2011

You Can't Be Fabulous Without a Sidekick

This blog entry is dedicated to the most valued thing in my life, who has been the most valued thing my entire life. What might you ask?  My teddy bear Puffy.  Actually that should be plural because I have two of the same one, in case one ever got lost, or in my mind stolen by a jealous psycho.  Throughout the years, he's taken a bit of a beating, which has caused many, aka my parents, to suggest preserving him in some type of box.  I'm sorry, but a box?  So he could suffocate and be neglected?  Absolutely not, what a horrible idea.  I recently had a nightmare that he fell apart, I think I would pass out if that happened in real life.

They say not to let your material items own you, but my teddy bear isn't a material item or a "thing," it's Puffy!  I own him and I would die without him.  When I was about 6 years old, I was on a flight to my yearly trip to Aruba, and I had him just chilling out right next to me on the seat so he could look out of the window and get some fresh air from my backpack, then BAM! He was gone.  What?  How could this happen?  Where did he go?  Who stole him?  Did he fall out of the plane?  Is he hurt?  Wahhh!  After what felt like an eternity of hours my mom informed me that my dad would buy me a new stuffed animal when we landed.  Um I'm sorry but that little guy is not replaceable.  My life of 6 years is over without him.  Luckily shortly after, my sister managed to find him, as he had just simply fallen under my seat.  I guess I didn't see him in the panic that pursued.  That little guy did not leave my side for the rest of the trip.

I have to admit, if I had to save a person from a moving train or save my bear from a moving train, I think for a hot second I might consider the bear over the person.  If I had to wear a potato sack for a year in order to keep him I'd do it.  If all my material belongings were going to be destroyed and I had to choose one to save, it'd be him.   If a building was burning and he was in there, I would go in and save him.  If that isn't love than I don't know what is.  Over any picture, any article of clothing, any piece of jewelry, any dollar amount.  He's clearly the best friend I've ever had.

Yes I'm 21 years old, no the attachment never faded, and I still look at him as my best friend rather than a simple stuffed animal.  Why? I never had a pet growing up, I just had him.  Always there for me no matter what.  He's all my memories wrapped in one.  I don't need a photo album, when I can just look at him.  He's the one material item that truly means something to me.

I'm sure at this age most people have grown out of their obsession with a childhood belonging, but I think everyone should have one belonging that makes them feel fabulous.  Whether it be a teddy bear, a pet, a piece of jewelry, or even a pair of sneakers.  It's the memories made with them that help you remember how amazing of a person you really are and how not so cruel the world actually is.  And for the record I think having an attachment to a teddy bear at the age of 21 is still socially acceptable as long as you keep him at home on your bed and never talk about him.

No comments:

Post a Comment