Wednesday, August 6, 2014

Cheesiest Blog Post Ever




There have been so many times where I come up with an idea in the moment to write or blog about something, make a note of it, and then try to write about it later.  But it never works.  Sure I could spew out a few paragraphs or thoughts about it.  But it’s not really from the heart the any longer.  I’ve already embraced it and moved on…like a week ago.  Why bother writing about it?  It’s not like I’m writing an autobiography about that time I lived in a cave in India.  My life consists mainly of movies and headbands and maybe the occasional inspirational quote that I read that day.

I think the reason why I don’t really do a good job with writing about something that happened to me a day or two ago, is because recent memories are best left alone.  Well not completely left alone- I mean yes please talk about your horrendous visit to the dentist last week to everybody and anybody who wants to listen.  But don’t force yourself to find an answer about why this event happened to you.  You can’t appreciate its actual value so soon after its expired.

Every now and then I revisit photo albums or mementos.  Not planning on it this time I ended up doing just that.  I’m not huge on looking at photo albums or really anything sentimental to be honest.  But I’ve been trying to get organized/get my life in order recently to make my current living space livable.  Under my bed I have about 8 different boxes, well not about there are actually legitimately 8 boxes, filled with countless amounts of mementos throughout the years- photos, birthday cards, diplomas, concert stubs, and so on.  I thought okay let me organize all this- moment by moment, year by year, consolidate the boxes, label shit, throw out what’s not essential and what really didn’t need to be saved or remembered.  Some photos I was like wow I never realized how good-looking I was at the age of 14.  Some photos I was like wow I never realized how bad looking I was at the age of 14.  Okay did I really need to save an essay I wrote in 7th grade?  Why is this photo not protected in its corresponding photo album?  Why do I have a $2 bill?  Shouldn’t I be displaying this pottery I made?  Do I need every single report card? I guess I really didn’t do that well on my SATs.  Should I burn these photos of me with braces?  Wow I should really consider cutting my hair short again.

I finally just came to the conclusion- memories aren’t really made to be organized or disposed of.  When I sit back and think what have I really done with my life, do I have to look for the answer in a labeled chart perfectly defined that's completely organized and sterile? Would I even want to? Unless you covered in clown makeup, wearing an inappropriate or ill-fitting outfit-I wouldn’t worry about your current state of affairs.  There are some things you just can’t make sense of. 

And now that I'm thinking about it, this blog post makes me think it's comparable to that ridiculously lame and overused quote: Sing like no one is listening, LOVE LIKE YOU'VE NEVER BEEN HURT, blah blah blah, I'm seriously going to drown myself in vodka, and rethink my blog posts from here on out.  Oh my god.  I am now horrified. 




No comments:

Post a Comment