Monday, June 13, 2011

Taking One Step Back, Moves You Two Feet Forward

Well, the past few days have been H-O-T hot. Or an extreme torrential downpour.  It really has not even been worth venturing outside.  Or really worth showering, or putting on a nice outfit.  My room is organized to complete perfection, my movie list complete, school is over, so now what?
Well I took a cool bath and debated what to do.  I thought I'll just have a relaxing afternoon, read a magazine, watch a movie, and go through my memory boxes under my bed that I've been keeping for quite some years.

Well Oh My God, one thing led to another, and I pretty much relived ever major moment in my life in 4 hours.  It was quite the emotional journey.  Awards from grammar school, old toys, picture, 2 yearbooks and messages from middle school, grammar school diploma, play bills, pictures from high school, endless amounts of notes passed between friends in high school and what seemed like the serious gossip and drama at the time, did I pay attention in class or just write notes all day?  4 yearbooks from high school, sweet 16 cards, my old license, 18th birthday cards, old essays and projects, then there was a scrapbook of all the major events of my sophomore year of high school,  Model U.N. trips, concert stubs, and then a box from when I went to Ireland for 2 weeks, a box for when I went to Italy, a box for when I went to Martinique for 6 weeks, and finally my most recent box with my college graduation materials.

Looking at each item in the boxes, I felt like I was shifted back in time.  My belongs and notes brought back details I had forgotten about, people I had forgotten about, and moments I had forgotten about.  Wow I guess I have done a lot in 22 years-I've met a lot of people and I've been to a lot of places, who knew?  Life just seems so uneventful on a daily basis.

The memories brought back some smiles, but I'm happy the memories are in a box.  Would I want to go back to grammar school, middle school, or even freshman year of college?  Not really.  Actually not at all.  I feel like life just gets better as the years go on, or maybe we get better at life as the years go on.  But without all those past moments I wouldn't be who or where I am right now.

It was a nice reminder that in 10 years, what I'm stressing over now, won't seem as trivial as I thought it was at the time.  All those memories helped me re-access what I'm doing on a daily basis, and allowed me to humble myself a little.

Tip of today:  If you're feeling stuck, take a trip down memory lane.

1 comment: